Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Listening to the trees...

I wanted to wait a bit before my next post. I wanted to make sure everything was sinking in...

I have been spending a lot of my free time out in the parks. I try to make it out on my days off before lunch time. I am blessed that on my way to work I walk for about 15 minutes from the train station down a hiking trail next to a river to get to the school I work at. It centers me before I walk through the doors at work.

I am very thankful of the nature that surrounds me. Yes, I live in Tokyo, but I am only 10 minutes from some really beautiful parks. I quick bike ride will bring me in the midst of some really beautiful and wise trees.

The trees have been teaching me to be still. I am starting to notice the separation from my mind and the one who watches...that other part of me. I have learned that the connection to the other is always there. Sometimes we notice it and sometimes our minds tell us that we are imagining it or that "today you are not having a good day...maybe tomorrow you will be more connected."

My mind is cute...like a little kid that really thinks it is "it." But I have also learned to love my mind. Yes, it chatters a lot, but it is learning to be still. The mind's (ego self) job is to think, to keep us safe, and to keep us alive. Our minds help us study, figure out problems, and navigate in this 3D world we have incarnated into. I remember reading that it is not a problem when thoughts creep in as we are trying to meditate or quiet ourselves. Accept them, but don't hold on to them. Just let them pass through...observe them as you would watch the breeze dancing with the branches of the trees.

I have learned to love my mind. It is pretty smart. Sometimes I let my mind know we are going to just be quiet and listen for a while. There will be lots of studying later in the day...books to read, problems to figure out, but right now we are going to be quiet and listen...be aware.

I have to say, that I have thoroughly enjoyed this spring. One of my good tree friends has changed from week to week. Beautiful cherry blossoms and now a nice shade under its leaves. I love to sit under him while I meditate. "He" has taught me a lot.

I have to thank the earth too. She has blessed me so much. I have been learning to thank her for providing me such a beautiful place to incarnate into. We all enjoy her air, water, and food that comes right out of her...from the ground herself. Think about that the next time you enjoy your favorite tea. That plant that grew the leaves came up from the earth. The water that the tea leaves are in. We have a lot to be thankful for.

I love to put my hand on the ground and just listen and feel. It has a quieting effect. I am sure this beautiful female presence of the earth has her own unique vibrational quality. I look forward to getting to know her more...

1 comment:

  1. I am in Tokyo until early march 2012. I don't have my drum with me but maybe you can show me something ... if you are still here ...
    pcr@web-base.at

    ReplyDelete